Sunday, July 20, 2008

Free Audio Books for your MP3 Player

I enjoy books and there are many that I have not read. I first discovered audio books when a friend told me that you could go to Cracker Barrel restaurants and "rent" audio books on CD for a week. I think they cost you about$3 or $5, much cheaper than buying one. Of course what they do is charge the full amount to your credit card, then when you return it, you get a credit back that for that amount less the weeks' rental amount.

That really worked out great for long road trips, because we usually found a Cracker Barrel restaurant somewhere along the way where we could drop off that one and pick up another one.

The next place I found was my local library also not only carried audio books, but they also subscribed to an audio book library, where you could have online access from your home PC, download the book to your MP3 and listen to it for free. This library had a good source of fiction, language tapes, etc. All are DRM protected and the license expires after 3 weeks. But when you finished you could check the book back in and get another one.

The cool part about MP3 books are that I listen when I am exercising, or working around the house outside, or inside. However, when exercising, I still like good music with a good beat to keep me moving.

Now my latest source is a site called Librivox. This site offers audio books that are in the public domain. Books such as "Sense and Sensibility", "A Midsummer Night's Dream", and "David Copperfield".

In addition, there are old radio programs such as "Dragnet", "The Shadow", "An Evening with Groucho Marx" and many others. I even found one that was World War II news broadcasts. Imagine stepping back in time to see what entertainment was before TV and the Internet.

I'm not going to tell everything that is out there, it is too big of a site. So you need to go take a peek and look around to see if there are things that you might be interested in.

Then download them to your MP3 or IPod, and enjoy.

If you have other MP3 or Audio book favorite websites, let us know!!!

Happy Listening!!!

No comments:

Shopping  and Fashion